This course examines the fundamental concepts and techniques that enable leaders to develop and “Inspire a Shared Vision” within an organization. An effective leader must understand several aspects of organizational life. Understanding the structure of an organization is critical to the process of developing and inspiring a shared vision. In addition, leaders must consider the use of human resources, the role of politics in decision making, and the organization’s culture.
Students will develop a self-critical perspective on the leadership process. The course will explore ways to reflect on the values, biases, and “personal baggage”, which individuals bring to the task of work and leadership. Special consideration will be given to the challenges of leading an organization that reflects the rich diversity of American and global society. The course will operate under the assumption that there is no template or a specific set of rules for being a good leader.
The goal of this course is to help develop a better understanding of the topic and produce tangible resources to help implement plans, strategies, and ideas at your school. In addition to lecture videos, possible resource links, and assessments, you will be able to utilize the Journal and Learning Activities. Take advantage of a method that best works for you. For example, these assignments can be completed in print form on legal pad, in a spiral bound notebook, or in an actual journal. You may also complete the Journal and Learning Activities in digital form, with a word processor of your choice, as a way to have useful materials to use after successful completion of the class.
After completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the leadership approach based on various situations.
- Determine the appropriate leadership style for given situations.
- Recognize communication barriers which may comprise assumptions, beliefs, and attitudes.
- Increase the capacity to communicate effectively from a position of leadership.
- Use self-assessments to enhance a leadership role.
- You must complete a course section to unlock the next section
- You have unlimited attempts at the assessments
- A 70% or higher is required on each assessment
- You must complete the Course Completion Confirmation to receive your certificate.